5 Helpful Tips for Your Bathroom Remodel
When you decide to take on a home remodeling project, it can be difficult to know where to start. Ultimately, you want a result that both pleases you and adds value to your home. That’s why we’ve provided some important tips that will guide you through the process so that your bathroom renovation goes smoothly.
- Create a wish list. This is the fun part! Take a look at your bathroom and make note of what you like and what you’d like to change. Look at magazines and other online resources like Pinterest and Houzz – they will provide great bathroom design ideas.
- Determine your budget. Now that you’ve gathered some ideas for inspiration, it’s time to be realistic about what you’re willing and able to spend on your bathroom remodel. Remember to subtract the amount that will be allocated toward labor, as this will help you figure out what you can spend on bathroom fixtures, like a new bathtub, toilet, sink, or showerhead. It’s also important to budget for the unexpected. You may encounter hidden water damage or mold, for example, and if issues like these arise, you want to make sure you are prepared to handle the cost to fix them.
- Consult a professional. You may want to knock down a wall and move the toilet, but do you know that this could require you to move your plumbing? Do you know how to measure appropriately and are you aware of all specifications for installing your new bathroom vanity, shower doors, and tiles? There are countless and often complex steps involved in a full bathroom remodel. Finding a good contractor will save you time and money, and it will ensure that costly mistakes aren’t made.
- Design for functionality. From fixtures to paint color, there are a lot of factors to consider when you redesign your bathroom. The key is to design with functionality in mind. For example, universal design elements, like shower benches and grab bars, can be incorporated in a stylish way while maintaining broad appeal. When you invest in a home remodeling project, it’s important to consider the eventual resale of your home.
- Make ventilation a top priority. Bathrooms are warm and moist, and this type of environment attracts mold and mildew. Installing a ventilator is essential in the bath remodeling process. A well-ventilated bathroom will provide fresh air intake and remove excess humidity, keeping you and your bathroom hygienic and healthy.