General Contractors in Cambridge, Massachusetts: What to Look For
A Full-Service General Contracting Company Serving Cambridge, Massachusetts for 25+ Years
From preliminary carpentry, flooring, and roofing designs to last-minute home additions and clean-up work, there are many factors for Cambridge residents to consider when taking on a new construction project. With these details on top of overseeing project timelines, budgets, and permits – it’s a lot to manage, and we’ve only scratched the surface.
Often, people struggle to find a partner capable of meeting ALL their home improvement needs because many contractors offer highly specialized services, but might not cover the broad range of capabilities that homeowners need to plan, manage, and complete their new build or renovation.
For prospective clients in Cambridge and the greater Boston area, a general contracting and construction company like Sleeping Dog Properties, Inc. can provide that ideal solution. Our broad and comprehensive expertise, as well as our detail-oriented design approach, is a key strength in Cambridge and surrounding markets in Massachusetts.
What Does a General Contractor Do?
A general contractor is basically someone who manages a team of subcontractors to help do various types of construction projects in your home.
As the leader of a construction project, it’s the general contractor’s responsibility to ensure that the project is completed according to the client’s specifications while also working with outside experts like plumbers, architects, electricians, and any other parties whose specialized handyman services might be required. General contractors pay close attention to budgets and timelines, tracking progress and milestones throughout to ensure the project is completed as planned, using the allocated resources.
Job Site Construction Assistance
The general contractor and their team might also contribute to the construction work themselves. In some instances, general contracting companies will already have in-house staff capable of managing certain aspects, and if not, then any competent general contractor will have connections with specialized laborers and craftsmen.
For the most part, general contractors are managing other contractors and overseeing all of the work completed on the job site. So, a keen eye for detail and general understanding of all the trades is an ideal characteristic for this role.
Overseeing the Job Site Throughout
In addition, the general contractor also ensures that an appropriate job site is found if the project entails the building of a new home, while complying with all relevant Cambridge-based laws and building codes throughout the construction process. For example, not all lots will be able to accommodate all build plans. If your home footprint is wider than standard lots in the Cambridge area, then the general contractor might provide the customer with suitable options for alternate lots in the area.
Or, it might be the general contractor who suggests alterations to the house plans in order to fit well within a specific lot. As well, building codes might dictate what types of materials can and cannot be used for a particular home.
Even if it’s not a new home that’s being built, there are still regulations that must be followed when performing home remodeling or renovation work.
Securing Building Permits
Usually, the licensed general contractor is also responsible for securing all the necessary construction permits, and ensuring that all building code requirements are met. This includes work completed by subcontractors, which is why general contractors use a great deal of discretion when selecting the who will provide services on the build.
Obscure construction regulations can vary greatly, and general contractors need to be able to identify when a potential violation is occurring or predict when one could occur on the build site. From the cleanliness of your heavy machinery before entering public roadways to how you treat and drain water usage on the job site, there are plenty of legal requirements to stay on top of. Experience and attention to detail are must-haves for these professionals.
Any individual within a company must acquire a general contractor license in order for the company to obtain and sign building permits. In addition, a general contracting license is required in order for the general contracting company to be able to provide compensation and liability insurance to its employees.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring a General Contractor?
There’s a lot that goes into a home improvement or construction project. As a result, there are many decisions that must be made when it comes to managing that work. Because of this, there are several benefits to hiring a general contractor.
- Full-Service Guarantee: Whether you’re looking for roofing, flooring, plumbing, siding, or anything else, general contractors take care of the vast amount of work needed to conduct a new construction project or home renovations.
- Timeliness: Thanks to their large network of subcontractors and outside partnerships, hiring a general contractor means that you’ll most likely get an accelerated project timeline. Effective general contractors and project managers know how to effectively manage subcontractors to ensure that the project is completed on time.
- Less Hassle: General contractors are responsible for managing the day-to-day execution of your construction project, which includes obtaining building permits, purchasing supplies, scheduling inspections, and hiring and supervising subcontractors such as carpenters, roofers, and electricians to ensure that the job is done efficiently and to your satisfaction.
- Having a Single Point of Contact: Since the general contractor oversees every aspect of your project, he or she will have a complete grasp on the scope, timeline, and budget of the project and will keep you informed throughout the entire process. Staying in constant communication with your general contractor plays a big role in you getting exactly what you want to get out of the project. Whenever you have a question, you will know exactly who to call.
- High-Quality & Fully Customizable Services: A general contractor will provide completely customized high-quality services to build whatever it is you’re envisioning. They should also know how to pivot when an issue arises that requires alternate materials or additional subcontractors to complete the job. All that’s required is for you to provide your needs, desires, and goals and they will arrange everything to ensure the project is completed to your specifications. The final result will be entirely unique and something you’ll be proud to call your own.
- Insurance Guarantee: If you use a general contractor, everything will be covered if a problem arises because general contractors have liability insurance. If you have several different projects going on and different handymen working on them, you’re taking a big risk. With one insured general contractor over the entire project, you’re in a safer position.
Additionally, our team takes special pride in our ability to consult with clients to determine how heavily involved they want to be throughout the construction or remodeling project.
Contact One of Cambridge’s Top-Rated General Contracting Companies Today
At Sleeping Dog Properties, Inc. we’ve earned our reputation as one of the best general contracting companies in Cambridge by ensuring every possible action is taken to bring our clients’ construction or remodeling projects to reality.
Regardless of where you are at with your future or current project, our team of designers and general contracting professionals are ready to step in and ensure the project is done right and to your exact specifications.
Whether it be custom condominiums, luxury residential homes, or even boutique commercial, flagship retail, unique hospitality, or specialty shopping stores, our customer-first approach to general contracting has allowed us to work on a wide array of Massachusetts-based projects with the highest level of craftsmanship.
Contact us to learn more about our general contracting services, as well as any of our design-build or architectural service offerings.